Thursday, April 8, 2010

Doom and Gloom!

It is another gorgeous day here. What a difference in the morning to stand and wait for the train. Of course there are always those who no matter how perfect the weather, the train is on time, they are healthy…they are what I call Eeyore’s. You know the sort, they always seem to say “ho hum, it could be better”. Well, the Train Eeyore was there as I approached and I said, “Isn’t this great?” and Eeyore replied, “What?” I waved my arm in a sweep to indicate the blue sky with the white clouds that appeared to have been painted with a wide artists brush. “The weather!, as if I needed to explain myself. He said, “I guess,” in his usual ho-hum approach to I imagine everything in his life. He is married, I can just imagine how enthusiastic he is in the bedroom with Mrs. Eeyore. I can see the sign on their master bedroom door, “Welcome to the Doldrums.”

So then I get to me next stop, Dover, and I am sitting on a bench on the platform, drinking in the sun as I waited for the midtown train. I had my iPod on and was just enjoying the few minutes before I would be on the train. And then I heard it, a sound I am used to in Manhattan but not at the Dover station. The Apostle, they stand and preach for all to hear but most just walk on by and go about their business. I turned off my music to listen to what this man had to say. It was rather uplifting, he started with statistics, such as half of marriages end in divorce, 1 in 4 is not insured….it culminated with 10 out of 10 people will die. I observed to all within earshot that this man was just a barrel of sunshine! I said based on what he has just revealed, perhaps we should all just step in front of the next train since we were the 10 out of 10 he was talking about! Prior to his stats, I was not aware of this and appreciated his revelation.

And then came the next bit of information which gave me my ah-ha moment and I knew where this was all going. He spoke of the afterlife and if we felt we were going to make it to Heaven. He began reciting the 10 Commandments and pointed out to all of us commuters and tourists that we were all sinners. At this point, I popped my earphones back in and cranked the tunes once more and basked in the sun for the next five minutes.

1 comment: