Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Strawberries, Vaseline and Guinea Pigs!

Well, it is confirmed because, even at 41 years old, I still have not learned to just trust my first reaction. I am not talking instincts or emotions, I am talking physical reactions to food, medications, beauty products.

A few years ago, it looked like I had contacted some sort of STD around my lips. I kept breaking out, friends were repulsed, my husband questioned me as to my whereabouts during Fleet Week...I kept a record of what I was eating thinking one of my allergies from my childhood had returned (the Strawberry Incident of 1977 fresh in mind), it had to be something I ate. Hmmm strawberries, I had not consumed any lately BUT I had been using cherry flavored Chapstick. Say it wasn't so!! That harmless stick of tinted wax that I kept liberally smearing to my lips could not possibly be the culprit. So I did what any logical adult would do, I kept using the crap to confirm my suspicion. And then I did what any logical adult really would have done, I stopped using. It was tough for the first few weeks, my tongue kept tasting my once cherry-flavored lips, they were now a dull, tasteless Vaseline taste. But lo and behold, my rash went away and the swelling, whick looked like a bad collagen injection, finally went away as well. I no longer looked like the OctoMom!

So now we come to another moment of when I should have trusted my first reaction and ceased using the Avon eye care cream and gel. I had been using it for months with no problems, well, not for months, a couple of times a week if I remembered or even cared to do my complete night-time beauty regime. Anyway, two weeks ago, I had the itchiest sensation around my eyes and then they puffed up underneath. I stopped using it and miracle of miracles, my eyes went back to normal! Of course, I could not let this go and that sh*t is expensive!! Last night I very smartly applied it again...and now I am looking at the world through puffy eyes. At least I can claim hay fever, there will be no accusations of STD's on this reaction, thank you very much!

I wonder what product or food will cause my next reaction. Stay tuned as I am sure there will be another incident and I will yet again let myself be my own Guinea Pig!

2 comments:

  1. NO WONDER I had seen all of those puffy eyed and lipped guinea pigs in petsmart. Thought it was a new breed, but man were their lips supple!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is strange, I would suppose, to start having allergic reactions out of nowhere, but you can. Even if you used it time after time, then your body will say "Enough" and poof (or puff).

    ReplyDelete