Monday, March 6, 2023

Ooh something shiny!

 The only difference between adult ADD and childhood ADD is the age. 

As a child undiagnosed and with teachers back when I went to school not knowing ADD was a thing, I spent a lot of time in...time out. Depending on the teacher in grammar school, it was sitting outside the classroom door or in a corner of the classroom. One teacher even employed the cone hat as you might have seen back in the day with DUNCE scrolled across it cause that will of course change the child's behavior to the desired fall-in-line. Shaming always works so well.

When it came into the forefront more and more as I got older, I was happy to see that a.) I was not alone and that b.) there was a reason for my behavior in and out of the classroom. The adults in my life handled it with a smack across the face or a good old beating on the backside. I would lie in bed at night crying myself and pledging to myself that if and when I had any children, I would never lay a hand on them or belittle them.

Back to the present - my son, 5 years old at the doctor and being diagnosed at that time with aspects of Asperger's. Now he is labeled as being 'on the spectrum'. We had a few years of medication which did help him focus and then when he was old enough to reel it back himself, we took him off the medication. It did it's job, he is now a sophomore and in the top 10 of his class and in all honor classes. This is all through his hard work and dedication. We encourage him and help when requested and needed. But having that diagnosis and knowing that one actually has something that can be labeled gives on a leg-up. 

I look back at my school years and wish I knew what it was called and that there are ways to manage it. 

Now as I get closer to 55 years old, I accept that my mind wanders. When I was younger, it was called daydreaming and I was snapped out of it often in middle school often with one teacher engaging a water gun shot to the face. Not Draconian punishment by any stretch but today I know this is unacceptable. It did not help me in the least and embarrassed me more than anything.

Even now I am distracted as I write this. What I wanted to say was it is okay to be a bit absent-minded because you get lost mid-stream in a conversation but there are mental tricks I employ constantly to keep myself on track. I am cognizant of when my thoughts wander and consciously I force myself to stay focused. 

Write it down on paper, use the notes in your phone when your thoughts come so fast as to not forget. I am constantly having ideas, be it marketing for the shop, story ideas, the shopping list....I need to write things down and keep myself better organized. And as more and more technology clouds my mind, it is even more so important that I employ all tools afforded me.

Now I have a ton of stuff to do everyday, it is a lot, our house is as chaotic as my mind so I am making myself to take little bites and do a little of each thing that needs my attention. I remember reading one thing in Don't Sweat the Small Things several decades ago and that is even when you die, your inbox is still full. 

You will never be done with all that what you want to or need to do but you do the best you can. Do not let it overwhelm you. Lists are my go-to. What is most important to do right now? And that feeling of when you cross things DONE off a list makes you feel better.

We are not alone, use your support team if you are blessed to have one. And if you don't, reach out, you might be surprised at how many friends and family are willing to help but they cannot help unless they know you need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment