Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Wishing Well

I approached an old well, I looked down into the darkness and was about to toss a coin into it when I heard a voice come up from within the well.

“If you jump in, I will grant you three wishes. The only condition is you will lose something precious to you with each wish.”

It was tempting, three wishes. I thought I could wish for a beautiful, large house but I already had a house that was not grand by any stretch of the imagination but it was a home and provided shelter for me.

I could wish for money to buy all that I needed but what did I need? I could buy designer clothes but I had clothes already which kept me warm and did not have holes. I could eat out every night at a fancy restaurant but I had all the food I needed already.

I could wish for perfect health and immortality but if I lived forever, I would only live to see all the people I ever loved die.

And of course, there was that clause, I would lose something precious with each wish and I knew that what I would lose would not be something but it would be someone and no matter how tempting the offer might be, I knew I was already blessed with a happy, healthy son, a loving and caring husband and a large family and lots of friends who I adore. So I walked on past the well and wondered for a brief second of the sort of person who would accept such a proposition.

Hmmmm I wonder if there is such a well in Washington D.C. Sure would explain a lot! Apparently honesty and integrity are a couple of the precious commodities which are taken in exchange for power and fame!

No comments:

Post a Comment